John R. Monnich Sr. was admitted to the Michigan Bar in 1974 and successfully litigated jury matters his entire 40 year career. He has tried well over 100 jury trials for both plaintiffs and defendants. In addition to negligence cases and medical malpractice defense, Mr. Monnich specializes in insurance litigation. In 1985 he was awarded the designation "Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter" by the American Institute for Property and Liability Underwriters and in 1989 he was awarded the designation "Chartered Life Underwriter" by the American College. In addition to his litigation activities, Mr. Monnich has advised and counseled insurance companies and insureds' concerning insurance practices and coverage issues. Mr. Monnich is also admitted to practice before all courts in Michigan, the 6th Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Prior to joining Ottenwess Law, Mr. Monnich managed his own practice for twelve years. He also served as a Principal and Manager at Holahan, Malloy, Maybaugh, Monnich & Delie for twenty-five years.
Mr. Monnich has been honored in the numerous listings and honoraria including the AV® Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating, Best's Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys, the American Insurance Attorneys "Recommended List", the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, LLC, Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, ATLA Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and Crain's Detroit Business – Best Lawyer.
Mr. Monnich is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame with a BBA in Accounting, and a graduate of the University of Detroit Law School.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Insurance Litigation
- Michigan, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1974
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Michigan
- Central Districts of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. - 1973
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.B.A. - 1970
- Major: Accounting
- Jonesville Products, Inc. v. Transamerica Ins. Group, 402 N.W.2d 46, 1986, Mich.App., 1987038056
- Stephens v Worden Insurance Agency and David Shamaly, 307 Mich App 220; 859 NW2d 723, 2014, LC No. 11-001276-NI
- Chubb & Son, Incorporated
- Employers Reinsurance Corporation
- The Hartford
- Travelers Insurance Co.
Honors and Awards
- "Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter" by the American Institute for Property and Liability Underwriters
- "Chartered Life Underwriter" by the American College
- AV® Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Best’s Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys
- American Insurance Attorneys "Recommended List"
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, LLC
- Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA) Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Crain's Detroit Business – Best Lawyer
Past Employment Positions
- Holahan, Malloy, Maybaugh, Monnich & Delie, Principal and Manager