John R. Monnich Sr.
John R. Monnich was admitted to the Michigan Bar in 1974 and successfully litigated jury matters his entire 40 year career. He has tried well over 100 jury trials for both plaintiffs and defendants. In addition to negligence cases and medical malpractice defense, John specializes in insurance litigation. In 1985, he was awarded the designation "Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter" by the American Institute for Property and Liability Underwriters and in 1989 he was awarded the designation "Chartered Life Underwriter" by the American College. In addition to his litigation activities, John has advised and counseled insurance companies and insureds concerning insurance practices and coverage issues. He is also admitted to practice before all courts in Michigan, the 6th Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
John has received numerous honors and awards for his achievements including the AV® Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating, Best's Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys, the American Insurance Attorneys "Recommended List", the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, LLC, Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, ATLA Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and Crain's Detroit Business - Best Lawyer.
John is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame with a BBA in Accounting, and a graduate of the University of Detroit Law School.
- Michigan, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1974
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Michigan
- Central Districts of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. - 1973
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.B.A. - 1970
- Major: Accounting
Professional Honors and Awards
- "Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter" by the American Institute for Property and Liability Underwriters
- "Chartered Life Underwriter" by the American College
- AV® Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Best’s Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys
- American Insurance Attorneys "Recommended List"
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, LLC
- Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA) Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Crain's Detroit Business – Best Lawyer
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Society of CPCU - National and State
- Society of CLU - National and State
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Jonesville Products, Inc. v. Transamerica Ins. Group, 402 N.W.2d 46, 1986, Mich.App., 1987038056
- Stephens v. Worden Insurance Agency and David Shamaly, 307 Mich. App. 220; 859 N.W.2d 723, 2014, Mich. App., LC No. 11-001276-NI
- Chubb & Son, Incorporated
- Employers Reinsurance Corporation
- The Hartford
- Travelers Insurance Co.