Chris is an associate with Ottenwess, Taweel & Schenk, PLC where he focuses his practice on all aspects of litigation in the following areas: medical malpractice defense, business and commercial litigation, and employment and labor litigation. Additionally, Chris is experienced in counseling his clients on employment related issues, and drafting and negotiating commercial agreements. Chris’ experience as a corporate attorney serves his clients well as he is able to intimately anticipate his clients’ needs. With proactive and forward thinking counsel, Chris is able to help his clients avoid liability, and to position them to achieve the best possible outcome in any legal endeavor.
Prior to joining the firm, Chris was an associate attorney with a Midwest based casino management company where he was responsible for managing litigation involving the company and its affiliates. Additionally, Chris was responsible for handling various types of commercial and employment-related agreements, and ensuring the company’s compliance with gaming specific regulations. Further, Chris was also responsible for investigating and responding on behalf of the company and its affiliates to complaints filed with administrative governmental agencies.
Chris graduated cum laude from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law with a focus on civil procedure, evidence, and trial strategy. Chris was an accomplished member of UDM’s moot court team where he was a semifinalist in the New York City Bar Association’s Moot Court Tournament, which is one of the largest and most prestigious moot court tournaments in the country. In this tournament, Chris received a runner-up best brief award and earned a top oralist award. In addition to his moot court accolades, Chris attended law school on an academic scholarship, and received several academic awards including membership in the Dean’s Honor Society and National Order of Barristers. Chris was also a founding board member of UDM Law’s ACLU Chapter.
Chris completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Michigan-Dearborn where he majored in political science and history. Chris attended on several academic scholarships, and was a four year member of the Dean’s List and Golden Key International Honor Society (Top 15% of graduating class).
Chris is an eagle scout and in his free time he can be found outdoors enjoying Michigan’s four seasons with his wife, Jen. When he is not outdoors, Chris can be found cheering on his favorite local sports teams.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Employment and Labor
- Government and Public Affairs
- Gaming and Entertainment
- General Corporate Matters
- Michigan, 2013
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. - 05/2013
- Honors: Cum Laude
- B.A., with High Distinction, University of Michigan-Dearborn, Dearborn, MI (2010)
- Honors: With High Distinction
Honors and Awards
- NYC Bar Association Moot Court Tournament Semifinalist
- NYC Bar Association Moot Court Tournament Top Oralist Award
- NYC Bar Association Moot Court Tournament Runner Up Best Brief
- Keenan Appellate Moot Court Tournament Semifinalist
- Keenan Appellate Moot Court Tournament Runner Up Best Brief
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Young Lawyers Section
Past Employment Positions
- Jack Entertainment, LLC, Associate Counsel (2014 - 2016)
- Quicken Loans, Inc., Legal Intern (2013 - 2014)
- Jon Shefferly & Associates, PC, Law Clerk (2012 - 2013)